Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Who would you like to talk to?

A friend of mine got an exciting job with a huge business group that is now venturing into the hospital business. He had been assigned to look after their first project and this was more than he had expected when taken on board. Last week as I met him over an extended dinner he elaborated on the huge responsibilities ahead. I could feel the excitement and towards the end of the first pizza he looked at me wondering what I thought of it all. I did not have to think much about my answer. My mind was fresh with the experience of two calls I had made an hour earlier. The calls kind of summed up a lot of pent up feelings I had about the hospital business. And what better a way to express myself than to make a change where it is possible. Across the table was a friend who had the job of shaping up a new hospital from the ground up. If I could convince him to do something about it then I should be happy that fewer people would have the same unpleasant experiences.

The smiling waiter brings another pizza to the table and in a well rehearsed manner asks for permission before he begins to serve. As my friends watches the pizza loaf being placed onto his plate, he breaks into small talk with the waiter. Without knowing what the conversation in the local language is about, my mind wanders toward the 2 calls. An hour earlier I called up the travel agent to discuss options for my upcoming tour. Having some concerns on whether the weather would be enjoyable for my kids, I ask him what he thinks. In a very reassuring voice, he says "Sir, don't worry I have myself been there at that time of year and I am sure your kids will love it. All you need to do is be adequately prepared. My kids loved it." I also brought up some queries on the quality of the hotels. Since he had gone through with me in detail about my previous trips, he tells me the hotels he is suggesting are the ones that 'families like you' would love. "Don't worry, you will thank me for the choices" he says in a very confident tone. Fully satisfied with the conversation, I look up at the clock and with a quick thank you and a promise to call back I end the conversation. I had just remembered that I was supposed to call the nearby clinic for an appointment the next day. I dial and as a lady picks up I say "Hello, I need to bring my daughter to the pediatrician tomorrow. Can you ...” My request is interrupted with a quick and brief answer in the negative. Before I ask when it would be possible to see the doctor, the phone is shut at the other end. I call again and this time I get to the point quickly and say “I need an appointment...”. But the call is transferred to someone else and I repeat my request hoping to complete my statement before it is transferred again. This time I raise my voice slightly and ask again. The voice at the other end seemed as though her otherwise nice working day was being spoiled by my call. But she turned out to be more responsive and told me "Come between 10 and 12 tomorrow. We don't take appointments." I quickly jumped in "But tomorrow is a working day so can you tell me how to see the doctor without waiting too long". Now the lady is obviously irritated and in a raised voice "You have to come between 10 and 12" and with that the conversation ends abruptly.

These 2 calls are fresh in my mind as I look at the pizza in front of me. In both instances, the caller at the other end is being paid to serve the customer. I pay them both if I want to or I can choose not to use their services. But the people at the clinic seem to think they are doing us a favor. We pay them but they seem to believe that we need them more than they need us. This is the reality of life as a patient or somebody who cares for him or her.

Back to the moment at the table and now I know exactly what to tell my friend. In a manner that may seem like I was making a personal request I tell him there is one thing he should do and that would make a big difference to the patients. Curious, he looks at me and I advise him that it would mean a lot to patients and their families if he hires people from the hotel or travel industry for the front end. I tell him that there seems to be a distinct difference in our experiences in the hospitality industry compared to hospitals and clinics. The difference I reasoned lies in the training and culture prevalent in both these industries. In one the culture is about pleasing the customer enough for him to love the experience so much that he or she wants to come back. In the other, the equation is different; it is about the sufferer being at the hands of a care giver. There seems no need to please in ways other than through medicine or the scalpel.

No comments:

Post a Comment